The Oblique WordPress theme is a masonry-based theme targeting fashion bloggers, but works for any creative professional that’s looking to for a bold and unique theme that’s a little different.
The asymmetrical layout isn’t for everyone, but definitely leaves a lasting impression. The parallax header image is striking at first, but feels gimmicky viewing it on every page (it would have been nice if it was the post/page featured image instead).
The masonry layout is a nice touch to the indexes, and archive pages, and ensures that it looks good on all screen sizes. Two templates are included, single and page.
Typography was definitely a focus for Theme Isle, establishing great lines, and hierarchy giving a clear separation of content. Google Fonts comes pre-bundled, allowing you to customize it further without any additional plugins.
Oblique is simple WordPress theme that provides a different layout for bloggers that aren’t afraid to take a chance, but is missing some of the tried and tested layout tools readers expect.
- Slick menu transitions.
- Good typographic hierarchy is complemented by an integrated Google Fonts library.
- Fast! GT Metrix times page load speed at 2.0 seconds.
- Masonry layout gives a premium feel to this free WordPress theme.
- Fixed header.
- Contains a few minor bugs (e.g. when modal is dismissed in Safari, parallax scrolling broke).
- Animations feel sluggish.
- No sidebar options leave something to be desired.